Portuguese language Edinburgh Scotland
Here at The Language Room, we have been offering Portuguese translation, interpretation and voice-over/dubbing services to our clients for over ten years. With our team of skilled project managers and linguists, you will find that we meet your requirements by delivering exactly what you need, when you need it. Contact The Language Room in order to find out more about Portuguese language Edinburgh Scotland.
Facts about Portuguese
- Portugal joined the European Union in 1986. As a result, Portuguese became one of the official languages in the EU.
- In 1996, Portuguese-speaking countries united to form the Community of Portuguese Language Countries (CPLP). Its aim is to promote political diplomacy and cooperation between these countries.
- In addition to Portugal and Brazil, you will find that Portuguese is also an official language of Macau. This is a former Portuguese territory, which was returned to China in 1999.
- Furthermore, Portuguese is an Ibero-Romance language. It evolved from the Latin that was spoken on the Iberian Peninsula by Roman settlers. Due to this, most Portuguese words are derived directly, or via other Romance languages, from Latin.
- Altogether, there are over 215 million native speakers of Portuguese on the planet. That makes it the sixth largest native language in the world. However, only 5% of Portuguese speakers actually live in Portugal.
- During the 15th and 16th centuries, explorers brought Portuguese to several regions of Africa, Asia and the Americas. You will therefore find that many people speak Portuguese in places as far away from Portugal as Macau and Angola.
- Although you will find Portuguese speakers living all around the globe, Portuguese has only two dialects that are used for learning. These are known as European and Brazilian standard languages. Modern Standard European Portuguese (português padrão/continental) is based on the Portuguese spoken in Coimbra and Lisbon. You will find that Portuguese-speaking African countries also favour this variety. On the other hand, Modern Standard Brazilian Portuguese (português neutro), is based on the Portuguese spoken in Rio de Janeiro.
Services by Portuguese language Edinburgh Scotland
You can see the Portuguese language services we offer listed below. If you are not able to find the service you need, do get in touch. We will be more than happy to help with any questions or requests you may have.